The dashboard indicator lights are your warning system that something in your vehicle is not working correctly or requires service.
In 1996, an orange light on your carâ€™s dashboard that is labeled â€œCheck Engineâ€� or â€œService Engine Soonâ€� became standard on all car makes and models. This light tells you thereâ€™s a problem with your carâ€™s engine and powertrain control system. If one of your dashboard indicator lights is illuminated then schedule an appointment with an Active Green + Ross Complete Tire & Auto Centre to get it checked out.
Why do i need this Service?
An illuminated â€œCheck Engineâ€� or â€œService Engine Soonâ€� light indicates that a vehicle system, such as the ignition, fuel injection or emission control, is not operating properly, even if the vehicle appears to be running normally.
Only the right diagnostic equipment can determine the problem detected by your carâ€™s onboard diagnostic system (OBD).
Ignoring a check engine light can negatively impact your fuel economy or cause lasting damage and RESULT in more costly repairs. For this reason, it is worthwhile to get any illuminated â€œCheck Engineâ€� or â€œService Engine Soonâ€� checked out as soon as you can.
- A steady yellow light should be diagnosed at the first convenient opportunity.
- A flashing yellow light indicates a problem that is currently happening and may require immediate attention.
- A red warning light indicates a serious problem. Pull over as soon as it is safe to do so and call for assistance.
- A technician connects a diagnostic scan tool to your carâ€™s computer system to determine the problem.
- Further testing and diagnosis may be required to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem.
- Once the problem is pinpointed, repairs are made and the light is reset.